Today’s interview features one of Babble’s top 50 Etsy Baby Shops of 2013! Check out Giddy Up & Grow on the March 2013 cover issue of Canadian Family Magazine and don’t forget to visit her shop at giddyupandgrow.etsy.com or follow her on facebook, twitter, or her blog.
1) Tell us a bit about yourself.
My name is Robyn, and I live in Alberta, Canada. I am the sole creator of Giddy Up & Grow, a hand made hair accessory company.
2) Why did you start Giddy Up & Grow and how did you get started?
When my second child was born , a daughter, I started sewing tiny dresses and making matching hair accesories for her. I would get asked by other moms where I purchased her hair acessories, so i started an etsy shop selling my designs.
3) Besides your handmade business, what else do you do?
I am a wife and mom to 2 kids, a son and a daughter. They keep me busy with all their activities!
4) Giddy Up & Grow uses many different materials and colours; often in one design. Where do you get your inspiration for your designs and do you start with an idea or the materials themselves?
My inspiration comes from many aesthetics. I love home decor, textiles, fashion and art. I try to stay current with trends but add my own twist or a vintage element to keep the design special.
5) Giddy Up & Grow has a celebrity following that includes Kourtney Kardashian, Jessica Simpson, and Tina Fey. How did you find out about your popularity with these celebs?
An agency had contated me, and asked if I wanted to participate in a baby gift basket that was being sent to a couple of these celebrities. But most of the time, you have to search the tabloids to find pictures of celebrity children wearing your deisgns! It’s a lot of word-of-mouth in the celebrity circle.
6) With over 3000 Etsy sales, it is clear that you have a successful business formula. What business advice do you have for new Etsy sellers?
Be prepared to spend some serious time at your craft to perfect it, and find exactly what sells and what customers want. The first year of any new business, is the hardest. If you can get through that first year, and you still love what you are doing, then you have a winner!!
7) Being that you are a full time mom and run an online business, how do you balance your work life and home life so well?
My husband is a big help. I am usually awake early in the morning, before the kids, so I can answer emails and do the administratives. Then the rest of the day is focused on the kids. I then stay up late working on designs.
8) Branding & packaging seem to be an important part of any business when it comes to standing out. What are some personal touches you add to your products, packaging, branding and shipping that seem to work for your business?
Before I had kids, I had a career in advertising. I worked at Venture Communications, alongside Arlene Dickinson (the only female judge on the T.V. show Dragons Den). Packaging and branding was huge in my career. I think for, in my business, is adding a personal touch to every package. I want the buyer to feel special, and know they are appreciated. I usually add a little “thank you” note, and a tiny bow hair clip into each package.
9) What item in your shop is your top seller or is your favourite design?
Gosh, there have been so many favorites, but right now I am loving the Aztec bows. I am obsessed with Aztec prints, geometric shapes and woodland elements. I think my biggest sellers have been the woodland animals (Fox, Owl, and Bunny Headbands), or the little studded bow hair clips. Any of these designs make great baby shower gifts!
10) Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
I would love to be collaborating with high-end fashion houses that offer children’s lines. For example, I would love to work with Stella McCartney to design accessories for her children’s collections! One can dream!!
Thank you Robyn for letting us into your world of handmade goodness! As a thank you to all the readers here, Robyn is offering a limited time discount at Giddy Up & Grow! Just enter coupon code CURIOUSNOOK at checkout for 15% off your whole purchase! Offer valid until March 18, 2013 (11:59pm, Pacific Time)